Prominic.NET wanted to present what Sametime 11 brought to all of us and why it’s such a big leap when it comes to better chat at Collabsphere 2020.
What does Sametime mean now:
- Entirely rebuilt from the ground up: Community back on Domino, able to run 100% without WebSphere. Just the size of the install package has been reduced by 2 thirds, thus making it easier to install, quicker.
- Install sizes down to small fractions of what it used to take
- Multiple components that can run on a single box or as separate VMs: Community, Proxy, Chat Logging
- And now a containerized version of Meetings allowing for modern web meetings, presentation, and recording
- Community: Main chat and presence awareness server, connected to directly from standalone Connect Client or from Notes Embedded Sametime
- Sametime Proxy: Connects to the Community Server, runs web chat, embedded chat in iNotes or Verse, and mobile Chat
- Chat Logging: MongoDB database that runs the chat logging and history
- Meetings: Runs meetings, as well as meeting recordings
Who can use what?
- Complete Collaboration (CCB) allows for use of Sametime presence awareness and chat (not screen capture or file transfer)
- Sametime Premium licensing gains these features, A/V, the ability to have guest users, and will also have the upcoming meetings components.
- Anyone who is interested in meetings, the 11.5 pre-release is available now— contact HCL for $0 bid then available through FlexNet
Installing and Configuring
- Windows install is definitely more straightforward, probably recommended if you are not comfortable with Linux
- There will be a slight additional component for configuring the SSO side of ST Meetings on Windows— the StAuthTokenJwt.DLL available alongside the pre-release installer
- For Linux there are additional pre-reqs for the Community server, such as MongoDB (even if the Community server is not running the chat logging)
- For either instance highly recommended to allocate FQDNs (even if only local or in /etc/hosts ) for Community, STProxy, and MongoDB
- Install time considerations
- Sametime FPs are full installers, not incremental additions, so go straight to the 11.0FP2s for a new install
- If upgrading, while Sametime Community can install over-top, the stproxy is a fresh install; copy over your stproxyconfig.xml, server.xml, and any SSL keys
- Post-install configuration items
- In stconfig.nsf in Domino:
- There are items that can be adjusted in here that are entirely not visible in the web admin
- Make sure to get yourself/your admins added with the SametimeAdmin Role
- The UI is VERY light.
- Under the CommunityConnectivity, set the hostnames to the Community server FQDN from earlier, and add for trusted IPs the connecting IP of the stproxy server
- Under CommunityServices, set chat logging to relax
Post-install configuration items:
- In Sametime.ini on the Community server:
- If this is your first Sametime install, probably handy to add into the [Debug] section VP_TRACE_ALL=1 (first thing HCL asks for on any ticket)
- If you configured a chatlogging MongoDB server that is not on the local host, you’ll want to verify that the destination is set properly here as well as in chatlogging.ini
SSO and Business Card Setup
- SSO Setup
- Set up standard Domino SSO between your iNotes/Verse server and ST Community, whether web config or Internet sites
- If you do switch to Internet sites, you may wish to set /server/auth/admin as homepage for web-based configuration of Sametime
- On Community server, in Sametime.ini [AuthToken] section:
- If SSO token is not named LtpaToken, add ST_TOKEN_TYPE=<<ltpa name>>
- If using Internet site docs, add ST_ORG_NAME=Organization
- Business Card Photos
- Exact methodology varies slightly between Domino directory and LDAP directory, but concept is the same
- Either from the admin page on web or in the UserInfoConfig.xml (data dir on Linux, program dir on Windows; should be alongside your notes.ini either way)
- Great starting spot is this article from Roberto Boccadoro.
- In UserConfigInfo.XML
- The FieldName (the actual Domino person doc field)
- The (Sametime client business card request) Ids, PhotoURL and ImagePath
- Then slightly farther down, set the parameters for what is being returned to clients for each business card:
- Business Card Photos
- If you are testing from a Sametime Connect Client there will be a local business card cache you can force to update
- Photo URLs are already supported from the Sametime 9 client forward, and rich text field photos will not be supported in ST Meetings
- Not the same as Verse user photos!
- If you had previously been using the userPhoto field in the names.nsf and would like to upgrade to using the photoURL for trying meetings or any other purposes please let us know!
- Had a customer with this scenario and developed code that can both detach the users’ photos to domino/html and also set the photoURL field
Sametime 11.5 Meetings and Beyond
- You will need to have your Sametime Community and Sametime Proxy servers up to 11.0FP2 latest versions
- Request the zero-dollar part from HCL to be able to download through FlexNet and use it through GA plus 30 days, focused on customers who will buy in that window
- Setup documentation seems good but must be followed very carefully— also this was an additional item we received after an issue with the new JWT DLL for Windows: https://support.hcltechsw.com/csm?id=kb_article&sysparm_article=KB0082613&sys_kb_id=5381bba11be39414beab64e6ec4bcbe1
For even more info on this make sure to check out these other sessions from Collabsphere:
- Roberto Boccadoro’s INF110 as previously mentioned for tech walkthrough
- Luis Guirigay’s COL105 for more of a background on containers and why they are being used for ST Meetings and recording.